A portable air conditioner is a piece of equipment that contributes enormously to interior comfort. This one-piece unit is very easy to install. Its installation sometimes boils down to simply plugging it into a power outlet. This auxiliary air conditioner is suitable for all environments, especially for confined rooms such as the office or bedroom.
Some models are also suitable for larger areas. The type of air conditioner to choose depends mainly on the size of the room. The climate in the area of use must also be taken into account. With the Trotec PAC 2300 X, you can choose between three operating modes including cooling, ventilation, and dehumidification. The Tristar AC-5560 can be operated with remote control and features a digital timer.
The 9 Best Portable Air Conditioners of 2020
1. Trotec Packaged room air conditioner PAC 2300 X 2.3 kW / 8,000 Btu
A quiet portable air conditioner has some significant advantages. Indeed, this type of unit can be used even during the night without disturbing the people in the house. Trotec understands this principle. This is why the PAC 2300X is available to everyone.
In terms of capacity, the performance of this equipment is interesting. The product can easily pack a room with a volume of up to 63 m3. This corresponds to a large room. Also, the item does not consume much to run its business, as this prototype is in energy class A.
On the other hand, for greater convenience, it offers three modes of operation. It can, therefore, dehumidify, cool or ventilate your space. This, of course, depends on the conditions you encounter during the day.
- Economical: Included in energy class A, this product doesn’t spend a lot of money. You will be able to put money aside for the long term thanks to it.
- Efficient: This specimen can treat a large room of 63 m3 maximum. You will thus have the choice for the installation of this reference.
- Multitask: This item is not only used to refresh your rooms or living room. It also offers other functions such as a dehumidifier or a fan.
- Noisy: Some users find that the sound generated by this air conditioner when it is in operation is annoying during a conversation.
2. Alpatec AC 293 Monobloc Portable room air conditioner 2930 W
The purchase of this type of equipment requires the taking into account of some selection criteria related to the comfort of use. Indeed, it is always preferable to associate the useful with the pleasant. It is thus in this sense that we direct you towards this model of silent portable air conditioner from Alpatec. This unit will not emit any annoying sound throughout its operation. You will then be able to leave it on during the night without waking you up in your sleep.
Regarding the options available on this product, you can, for example, distinguish the timer. This can be set up to 24 hours at a time. On the other hand, this equipment also offers three-speed levels. You will be able to adjust its power according to the conditions you encounter during the day.
Besides, this specimen plays three roles at the same time. In addition to its primary function, this prototype can also be used as a fan and dehumidifier.
- 3 ventilation speeds: With this feature, you will be able to ventilate your rooms according to the intensity of the ambient heat.
- Comfort of use: Most consumers who have purchased this product have been delighted with its ease of use. This is particularly possible thanks to its remote control and its large digital panel.
- 3 Modes: This item does not only act as an air conditioner. It can also be used as a fan and dehumidifier.
- Heavy: According to some consumers, this quiet air conditioner is a bit heavy. This can make installations difficult. Fortunately, wheels are available for moving.
3. Tristar Portable Air Conditioner AC-5560 Energy Class A Heater
Are you looking for a portable air conditioner without evacuation? This model from Tristar is for you. It is a product of energy class A. In this respect, its consumption is significantly lower than most equipment in the same category. You can then make considerable savings by purchasing this prototype.
On the other hand, it is also one of the most efficient devices on the market today. This is because this specimen can air-condition a 90 m3 room alone. You can install it in a large room without any difference in the atmosphere in certain areas. The conditioning will be perfectly homogeneous.
This equipment also has three functions to its credit. It can switch from heating mode to dehumidifier or fan mode.
- Easy to use: To provide you with optimal comfort, the manufacturer has equipped this air conditioner without exhaust hose with a digital timer and remote control.
- Low energy consumption: Being part of class A, this air conditioner will stop you from your expenses.
- Large capacity: If you have large rooms to condition, this drainless portable air conditioner may be just what you need. It works well in rooms up to 90 m3.
- Calculation of the volume to be processed: According to some consumers, if you want the device to work efficiently, you will have to set this value. Otherwise, you may run into unpleasant surprises.
4. Argo Clima Glamour Portable Local Air Conditioner 10000 Btu/h
If you’re looking for a practical solution to cool down in the summer, opt for a portable air conditioner without exhaust. This type of unit will save you the trouble of having an unnecessarily bulky machine. To help you find the ideal product for you, we suggest this specimen from Argo. This equipment is also among the quietest on the market today. This is due to its noise level of 64 dB. With this feature, you will be able to operate it worry-free all night long.
While most equipment of this type presents some difficulty to clean, this operation has been made easier on this reference. Maintenance becomes quick thanks to the integrated removable dust filter.
To simplify its use, a discharge hose is supplied by the manufacturer and multidirectional wheels allow easy transport of the unit. All this at a lower price than the competition.
- 3 functions: This prototype can be used not only as an air conditioner but also as a dehumidifier and fan. For the latter option, three-speed levels are included.
- Silent: With a noise level of 64 dB, it does not emit any disturbing noise while working. So you can switch it on at any time of the day without a care in the world.
- Easy care: To simplify cleaning this product, the manufacturer has added a removable dust filter that you can easily remove.
- Speed control: Some consumers have experienced some difficulty with this when the unit was in air conditioning mode.
5. Technibel Portable Air Conditioning Split 4.0kW Disconnectable Inverter SCDF134C5I
If you wish to purchase a portable split air conditioner, we would like to draw your attention to this model from Technibel. This article presents a simple design that will blend in with your interior design.
However, some buyers regret the rather heavyweight of this equipment, because it can make the assembly rather recalcitrant. To carry out the operation correctly and safely, you will need to call in a third party to help you in the best possible way.
Users who purchased this product were immediately won over by its speed. It can condition a large 40 square meter room in just a few minutes. And all this in silence. According to many buyers, this machine emits virtually no noise throughout its operation. This allows you to use it even in the middle of the night to offer you a refreshing comfort during hot periods.
- Fast: This product can treat a large enclosure in a few minutes. You won’t have to wait long to be refreshed.
- Capacity: It can condition rooms with a fairly high volume.
- Quiet: According to the test conducted by several consumers, this equipment emits practically no noise indoors. So you can turn it on even when you’re sleeping.
- Price: If you’re looking for a cheap air conditioner, this one won’t suit you. It is indeed quite expensive.
6. Klarstein Windwaker Pro 18 Air Conditioner Type Split 18000 BTU
This portable split air conditioner from Klarstein offers several interesting advantages. That’s why we mention it in this guide. As it belongs to the energy class A++, this device is classified in the list of low-energy products. Therefore, you will have nothing to worry about spending money on it here.
Besides, this product presents 5 air conditioning modes. In particular, it can play the role of a dehumidifier. Thanks to this, you will be able to cope with any situation. And as for the fan function, 4-speed levels are integrated into this model. So you can choose the one that best suits the atmosphere you will encounter.
It is also silent, so you won’t wake up in the middle of the night with unpleasant noises. You will thus have a completely suitable temperature even while you sleep.
- Multifunction: 5 air conditioning modes are available on this portable split air conditioner. It heats, cools, dehumidifies and ventilates.
- 4 fan speeds: With this feature, you can choose the level that best suits the situation you are facing. You will be able to decrease or increase the airflow depending on the intensity of the heat.
- Horizontal and vertical oscillation: Thanks to these two possibilities for the fan to work, the air circulation within your living space will be significantly improved. Cooling will thus be able to reach all areas of your room.
- Cost: This is not a cheap portable air conditioner. The price of this equipment is indeed very high.
7. H.Koenig KOL7012 Reversible portable air conditioner + class A
If you are looking for a portable reversible air conditioner, we recommend this model from H.Koenig. It has several advantages that will provide you with a good level of comfort. Among these advantages, we will first talk about its energy consumption. As a class A product, it is one of the most energy-efficient on the market today. By purchasing it, you will be able to keep an eye on your expenses.
In terms of its performance, this prototype has 4 functions all within it. It is therefore capable of cooling, dehumidifying, ventilating and heating your rooms according to your current needs.
Also featuring a “special sleep” feature, this equipment has been designed not to emit annoying noises during its activities. Thanks to this, you will be able to spend a good night’s sleep in the best possible conditions. Consumers have also appreciated the speed of work offered by this equipment.
- Efficient: According to users who have already tried it, this device can quickly process the rooms where it is installed.
- Easy to use: The designer of this product wanted to make it simple to use. To this end, he has equipped it with a remote control that will allow you to adjust it easily from a distance.
- Multifunction: This reversible portable air conditioner has a total of 4 modes. It can not only heat and cool a room, but also ventilate and dehumidify it according to everyone’s needs and expectations.
- Sound: Despite the manufacturer’s efforts in this regard, some consumers still found the item quite noisy.
8. Hzhy Mini Air Conditioner Mini Fan Air Cooler
If your space is a little too small to afford a bulky machine, this small portable air conditioner may just be the solution. Ultra-compact, this product is easily transportable from one room to another. All you have to do is use the handle dedicated to this purpose.
Employing silent technology, this equipment can be used day and night. You will not be bothered in any way by disturbing sounds. So you can enjoy a good night’s sleep. What also distinguishes this specimen from other references in its category is its essential oil diffuser function.
By using this mode, you will be able to benefit from all the benefits of these essences without having to buy a completely different device to do so. This model also includes an anion generator. Thanks to this, the ambient air will be treated to eliminate suspended dust and household allergens.
- Ultra-compact design: This equipment can be easily moved from one room to other thanks to its carrying handle and small dimensions.
- Multifunction: In addition to its main role, this equipment also serves as an essential oil diffuser and anion generator. This is quite unusual for this type of product.
- Silencer: This item has been designed not to emit any annoying sounds throughout its activities. So you can use it in the middle of the night if you need to.
- Price: It’s significantly lower than normal cost raises some doubts about its durability over time. It must be purchased to be sure.
9. De’Longhi PAC N76 Air-To-Air Portable Air Conditioner Penguin
If you are looking for a DeLonghi portable air conditioner, we direct your attention to this brand model. Indeed, this is one of the most popular signs for the design of this type of equipment. In spite of its many qualities, this product proves to be less expensive than most in the current market.
DeLonghi has also understood that energy saving is an important factor in the choice of its consumers. This is why the manufacturer has made this product a Class A product. This makes it less greedy for electricity.
In terms of design, this product has compact dimensions. Also, its weight of only 30 kg is extremely light. You will have no difficulty in transporting it from one room to another according to your current needs.
- Cost: This is a cheap portable air conditioner. The posted price for this equipment is significantly lower than most of its peers.
- Low consumption: From energy class A, this item will save you a lot. Despite its already affordable price, this unit is also a good long-term investment.
- Noise level: This value is 63 dB. This makes this product one of the quietest on the market.
- Fragile remote control: According to some consumers, this accessory deteriorates easily. Therefore, you should be careful when handling it.
Being a simple solution for air conditioning, especially for occasional use or if you have to travel with it, it must be obvious that with a wide choice of models, it is not easy to choose the right portable air conditioner for your needs. In this buying guide for the best portable air conditioners, to help you in your quest, we will detail some essential criteria that you should look for to make your investment worthwhile. Some of the things you need to keep in mind include energy efficiency, power and control options.
How can I buy a better value portable air conditioner? There’s no denying that a unit like this is very useful for cooling the air in a living room. But before you buy it, you should be aware that it requires a lot of energy. That’s why you need to consider the energy efficiency of the model you are considering before you buy it. Before considering certain purchasing criteria, such as power, design or ease of use, you should first look at the energy label.
To put it simply, the energy efficiency of a portable air conditioner, which is based on the same principle as that of other electrical appliances, indicates its energy consumption performance, which is based on the ratio of the power consumption recorded for a given cooling unit supplied. In a nutshell, this is its energy efficiency ratio. Abbreviated as EER, this indication serves as a benchmark for comparing one model to another.
The important thing to remember is that the higher the EER for a given air conditioner, the more energy-efficient it will be. On the label, you can identify it by indications such as A, A+, A++, A+++, B, C and G (overall energy rating of the air conditioner).
Although the threshold determining each class varies from one unit to another or from one type of air conditioner to another, the rating and color assigned from A to G remain relatively the same. For your convenience, if you want to optimize your electricity bill, you can look at classes A, A+, etc. Indeed, A++ portable air conditioners use less energy. They will have an excellent performance than those in class C.
The energy label, therefore, allows consumers to choose the portable air conditioner adapted to their needs. You can identify, among other things, the energy efficiency category (from A to G), heating indicators, power consumption (in kWh), sound level and cooling capacity (in kW).
Cooling Capacity (in kW).
In hot weather, a portable air conditioner is still a very effective way to conveniently cool a room. But to have one that meets all the essential criteria for a good unit, there are many points to consider and we’ll certainly take a look at the power.
To produce the necessary freshness for a given space and to function properly, a portable air conditioner needs a cooling capacity that is expressed in BTU (British Thermal Unit), of which one BTU is equivalent to 0.3 watts if converted. The (input) capacity, expressed in Watts, is the energy consumption of the unit.
Although it is not possible to have the precise power required for a specific space, it is still possible to have an approximate value. For rooms smaller than 25 m², a portable air conditioner of 9000 BTU or 2500W can do the job. For rooms between 25 and 35 m², a 3500W, 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner may be suitable. On the other hand, for rooms larger than 35 square meters, an 18,000 BTU air conditioner with a power consumption of 5200W is suitable.
As for the price of a portable air conditioner, you can always go through a price comparison to see the difference. To give you an idea of how much a portable air conditioner can cost, a portable air conditioner can cost between $400 and $1400.
Apart from the practicality of a portable air conditioner, you should also be aware that compared to a stationary air conditioner, it remains more affordable. So you can choose between several types of portable air conditioners, including reversible, compact, split and silent versions.
Much more convenient to use and consuming only the energy it needs, there are several ways to control portable air conditioners. More sophisticated models are equipped with a control screen that allows you to choose your programs easily. Others have a remote control that allows you to program your air conditioner without moving from your bed or sofa.
You can also find a portable air conditioner with electronic programming. So you can turn it on a few hours before you arrive, for example, to get all the freshness you need when you get home. With this type of air conditioner, you also have the right to program the temperature you want, to choose special programs, etc.
Nowadays, households no longer hesitate to opt for a portable air conditioner, and it is also becoming increasingly popular for its performance and the convenience it offers its users. Moreover, with this type of air conditioner, the question of “where to buy a new portable air conditioner” is no longer a conundrum, since it is possible to find one even in large stores. However, in order not to get lost in this multitude of offers, you should not hesitate to ask the experts for advice to avoid any unpleasant surprises.
Moreover, thanks to its design, usually contemporary and very refined, the portable air conditioner can decorate and cool the room in which it is located. So you won’t have any trouble installing it in your bedroom or any corner of your living room.